Switzerland has been ranked as the most livable country in the world and people have extremely high standards of life . Swiss watch, chocolate, fondues, scenic train rides and spectacular scenery makes this country so special. Switzerland has three official languages: German, French and Italian. Numerous United Nations Branches and International Organizations are located in this beautiful country. Switzerland has wonderful high-speed train network in the whole country, so connecting to all neighbor European countries.
1. Buy the Swiss Travel Pass: Free unlimited traveling for 3, 4, 8 or 15 consecutive days. It also includes free trains, buses, boats and city transit (Super Deal if you plan to stay in Switzerland for several days). You may visit 2 or 3 cities within the same day.
2. Buy cooked foods (BBC chicken €7) from grocery stores rather than restaurants. Fast food restaurants are very pricy (e.g., Asian style fast food about €20, McDonalds Regular combo meal: €15).
3. Take advantage of the tourism offices in Switzerland and get all free resources of maps and information.
4. When you visit Zurich, visit The Polyterrasse between the ETH and University offers top views over Zurich's old Town.
5. Stay at old hotels for low price in Switzerland. Hotels are expensive in Switzerland. Comparing to expensive Scandinavian countries, Switzerland has much more cheaper options if you are willing to stay at some older hotels.
6. Airbnb has much lower price than hotels in Switzerland. Book Airbnb from the link below will save you $62 CAD/$43 USD/€41 instantly for your first stay anywhere around the world
7. When you visit Lugano, please try cheap eat pasta restaurant - Pasta e Pesto (down the hill from the train station).
8. Visit The Three Castles of Bellinzona (UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000).
9. I recommend tourists to visit and explore German and French speaking regions of Switzerland. You will see nice lakes, mountains and cities. Lugano's (Southern Italian speaking region of Switzerland's) landscape is similar to Gulin in China, but Gulin has much nicer scenery.
1. Avoid buying swiss watches in Switzerland. You can pay much less in other European countries duty free shops.
2. Avoid buying international train tickets from SBB. Check other countries' website first (e.g., the same train from Zurich to Milan: SBB sells for CHF 24; Trenitalia only sells for €9).
3. Avoid flying to Switzerland directly. I found the flights to Swiss never on sale. You may fly to Switzerland's neighbor countries, such as France, Germany or Italy, then take the train heading to Switzerland.
Trip Highlights (2013, 2017)
Many tourists stop in Lucerne and use it as hub to visit other cities in Switzerland
Bern is the capital city of Switzerland. We traveled from Interlaken to Bern by train
Bundeshaus (Parliament Building) in Bern
Bundeshaus (Parliament Building)
Wonderful post! The informative tips and pictures of Switzerland that you shared in your blog might just come in handy when I start preparing my travel itinerary for Switzerland. I recently got my Switzerland visa and I will be visiting this charming country next month. Hoping to create some beautiful memories for life.ReplyDelete